Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Introduction

I've been counting my calorie intake for a few months now. To make weekday lunches practical, I mainly consumed Country Ladle 97% Fat Free Butternut Pumpkin Soup [190 calories for a big can] or Ultra Slim milk shakes [210 calories when prepared according to instruction] accompanied with some green salads and Sunrice Flavoured Rice Cakes.

But lately - I find myself getting a bit bored of them and ended up going out to get takeaway lunches (which is not a very smart move in both account, health & financial).

Yesterday, I bought a Turkey, Spinach, Cheese and Cranberry wrap for lunch. It weighted 168g and amounted to 320 calories - which nicely fits my approximate lunch calorie intake. It was yummy. But, it costs $6.70 AUD! Geez!

Hmmm! If they can make that wrap for 320 calories, surely I can too! Plus, I'm pretty sure a home-made wrap won't cost me $6.70 daily! So I went and did a small research and found this Mountain Bread Lite Wholemeal wrap. One pack consists of 8 wraps which has 70 calories each. How much are they? A mere $4.20 at Coles; i.e. 53 cents each!

So, inspired by the "Easy Calorie Count" blog; I'm going to use this blog to record my experiments with packed lunches. For my reference purpose and to make it more useful for others, I'll include calories information. To know how I'm tracking against that pricey Turkey Wrap, I'll put in the approximate costs. To make it more fun (for you and for me - as I love taking them!), I'll include pictures. I'm hoping that this would help in motivating me to keep making the wraps as well as encourage me to be more creative with them!

No comments: